Yesterday was my wonderful mother’s birthday. I won’t tell you how old she is, but trust me, she’s pretty old. Just kidding, love you Momma!
In honor of her birthday I decided to try out a recipe from a book I read recently. It’s a brownie recipe, called Brownies Plus, from The Cream Puff Murder in the Hannah Swensen Mystery Series by Joanne Fluke (great series by the way, I’m on book 13 of 16). I’ve also seen variations of this recipe on Pinterest, and adapted my brownies from the recipe in the book, as well as this blog. I, of course, added my own twist, and was very pleased with the results. Here’s the recipe:
1 box of your favorite brownie mix, plus add’l ingredients per package instructions (you could also use any regular brownie recipe you like, if you want to make them from scratch – I don’t have that kind of time anymore, thanks to Handsome Boy)
2 – 4.4oz Hershey Bars (the big ones!) (you can use any kind of Hershey bar – milk chocolate, dark chocolate, w/almonds, etc – I used milk chocolate because that’s what I wanted in my brownies)
1 package of peanut butter chips (like chocolate chips, only peanut butter)
1. Preheat your oven to 325 degrees
1. Spray or grease an 8×8 baking dish lightly with cooking spray
2. Mix the brownies according to package (or recipe) instructions
3. Spread half of brownie batter in bottom of pan (you don’t have to weigh or measure, just eyeball it)
4. Top with the chocolate bars in a single layer (you may have to break them up a bit, but they should fit almost perfectly)
5. With the remaining brownie batter, stir in about half of the package of peanut butter chips (more or less, to your preference – with half the package, it wasn’t as peanut butter-y as I had hoped, more of just an after taste – I think I’ll use more next time)
4. Spoon the remaining brownie batter/peanut butter chip mix over the chocolate bars and gently spread to cover
5. Bake for 45-50 minutes. Allow to cool completely – I know that will be difficult, but they are so ooey-gooey even once they’re cooled, it really is necessary
Unfortunately, I forgot to take pictures because we were rushing out the door to go to the beach. I guess I’ll have to make them again soon. Oh, darn 🙂
For now, here’s a pic of Handsome Boy at the beach. Enjoy!